DIY Animal Envelopes Tutorial with Letter Writing Prompts
4th October is World Animal Day. And what better activity for world animal day than writing persuasive letters that show the importance of animals in our amazing world. And to make this day even more fun we have a DIY animal envelopes tutorial for you, so you can send your letters in style! This is the perfect activity to improve your child’s letter writing skills and best of all it even makes writing fun! For more ideas on fun writing activities, check out our post on top 10 writing activities that make writing fun!
DIY Animal Envelopes tutorial:
Note: This tutorial is to create the alligator animal envelope design.
What you will need:
- 1 square paper (21cm x 21cm)
- Black felt tip pen and pencil
- Some white paper for decorating
Create smaller triangles, as shown in the image. Do this three times:
Unfold the top folded triangle and then fold the bottom triangle to the top:
Unfold the bottom small triangle and fold it to the top, as shown in the image. Then comes the tricky part. You need to create a small triangle as shown in the 2nd image below and then tuck it inside. To secure the whole envelope use some glue and voila! Your DIY animal envelope should be ready now. Although it doesn’t look much like an alligator or any animal right now.
The final step is to add the decorations to your envelope to make it look more like an alligator. This means creating some sharp alligator teeth! To create the teeth use a strip of white paper (2cm x 10cm) and draw some zigzags for the teeth. Ask an adult to cut out the two sets of alligator teeth and stick them on with some glue. Finally, draw on the eyes and nose and you’re done!
You don’t need to stop here, you can create much more animal envelopes. For example a tiger, dog, cat or any other animal you love! We would love to see your DIY animal envelopes, why not share them on social media using the hashtag #imagineforest or comment a link to your designs below.
These DIY animal envelopes are a cute idea for whenever you want to send a letter to your best friend or pen pal.
Persuasive Letter writing prompts:
Now that your DIY animal envelopes are ready, it’s time to get letter writing! To help you out, we have 10 persuasive letter writing prompts for you. Try writing a letter for the following:
1. To your mayor about the new mall development in your area and how it will impact the local wildlife.
2. From the point of view of a tiger whose family has been kidnapped by poachers.
3. To a health and beauty company telling them to not use animals when testing their products.
4. Do you think an alligator would make a good pet? Why or why not.
5. To your friend arguing whether cat or dogs make better pets?
6. To your mom/dad convincing them to keep a stray dog, you’ve just found.
7. To your parents persuading them to buy you a pet.
8. To your teacher convincing them that a class pet snake would be a good idea.
9. You’ve heard that your neighbours hate all owls. Write a letter convincing them that owls are cool.
10. Write a letter to your friend convincing them to adopt one of your pet tarantula spiders.
Do you have plans for world animal day? What do you think of our DIY animal envelopes tutorial and letter writing prompts? Let us know in the comments below.