12 Earth Day Writing Prompts for Kids
April 22nd is Earth day. This is the perfect opportunity to learn more about this beautiful planet and how we can take care of it. To make Earth day even more special why not get writing for this brilliant day. To help inspire you, here are 12 Earth day writing prompts that are both fun and educational!
Earth Day writing prompts
- Finish this sentence in at least 10 different ways: The Earth needs our help because…
- Your local mayor wants to hear your ideas on how the city can save water or electricity. Write a letter to the mayor explaining your idea. You could even include a diagram in your letter.
- Write a haiku poem about saving Earth. Remember haikus have three lines with the following syllable pattern for each line 5, 7 and 5.
- Create a poster for Earth day and include a snappy slogan that will encourage more people to protect Earth.
- Write a step-by-step guide on how to use less water in your home.
- Write a natural disaster story, using the following as a story starter: If only I watered my plant like my mom told me to…
- Write three acrostic poems using the words, Earth, recycle and nature.
- If you could speak to trees, what do you think they would say? Imagine if you asked them the question, “How can I save Earth?”. What would they reply?
- Create your own comic strip about a team of superheroes whose job is to protect planet Earth. What would you call your superhero team? Would they have any special powers? Who would their enemies be?
- Write a story about a man who hates recycling and then learns the importance of recycling.
- Write a shape poem on how to take care of Earth in the shape of the planet.
- You read a newspaper article with the headline, “Recycling – A Waste of Time!”. Write a letter to the editor of the article, convincing them that recycling is important.
- Create a field guide on plant life in your area. You can use this plant name generator for more inspiration.
Looking for more Earth day inspired prompts? Check out our April writing prompts challenge.
Download our free Earth Day writing pack, by signing up to our website and then visiting the free worksheets section! This awesome Earth Day writing pack for kids includes three persuasive writing letter templates, a word list, postcard templates and two acrostic poem templates:
Get writing for Earth day 2018
I hope these Earth day writing prompts have inspired you to take action in protecting our beautiful planet and have helped you write some awesome stories. In the meantime, we would love to hear from you on what your plans for Earth day are and if you have any fun Earth day stories to share with us!