Every writer has moments when their mind goes blank. It can be frustrating and annoying when you really want to write something, but just don’t know where to start. That’s where writing prompts come in handy. Since it is J.K Rowling’s birthday in July, I figured what better way to celebrate her birthday than writing your own fantasy stories. These 25+ fantasy writing prompts for kids are an amazing source of inspiration! Most these fantasy writing prompts relate to magic and wizardry. Aparecium – Turn that blank page into an unforgettable story!
25+ Fantasy Writing Prompts For Kids:
- You see a large opening in a tree, you decide to see what’s inside.
- Your father is an evil sorcerer, you must stop him before he kills all humans.
- As you walk through a dark forest, trees whisper warnings “turn away now!”
- You want to attend the best magic school in all of Macbury, but have no magical powers.
- You have been cursed to never speak again by an evil witch.
- You return from school one day to find a mysterious package in your room with an owl shaped logo on it.
- You are the only witch in a religious neighbourhood. Everyone blames you for their misfortunes.
- The evil witch has stolen all your powers turning you into a human.
- You find an injured stray cat on your way from school, you decide to nurse it back to health. But soon find out that it has magical powers.
- A boy helps out an old lady, in return he is given magical powers. Instead of using his powers for good, he uses it to destroy the world.
- Your Grandad is the owner of an old antique shop. One day while helping your Grandad you discover a strange book called “The Guide to All Evil.”
- For years you have been spending your Saturday evening in a library, every week you see the same old man sitting in the corner. One night you decide to speak to him…
- One night you are dragged into your favourite RPG computer game, where you play a knight trying save the land Tribula from the evil powers of the dark king.
- While messing about in the library you find a strange necklace. Wearing this necklace turns you into your spirit animal for 24 hours. It turns out your spirit animal is something unexpected.
- You find a magical map in your attic. The map shows the location of a moving target. One day that target appears in your back yard.
- You have the ability to raise the dead for a few minutes and have spent the past few years hunting for the monsters that killed your parents.
- You were the personal assistant to a crazy, old wizard who has now passed away. Before his passing he told you to hide a mysterious bag.
- You find a spell book which gives you specific instructions on how to cast a body swapping spell.
- You are story teller. One day you realise that the stories you’ve been telling are true and you have the ability to control the lives of others.
- You work part time as a vet. One dark night, while you are closing your shop, a crazy women barges past the doors with a strange creature in her arms.
- You share your heart and soul with the enchanted forest. When you are happy the flowers bloom and when you are sad the leaves fall. One day soldiers come to destroy the forest. Destroying the forest means that you will die.
- A war has been raging between the witches of the West and the witches of the East for over 100 years.
- You are preparing for the annual top magicians competition. For the past 5 years in a row you were voted wizard of the year. However this year there’s a new wizard in town threatening your title.
- You are a young wizard on a school trip learning about the different magical beings that inhabit the swamps. While there you notice one by one, your fellow students start disappearing.
- You are troublesome child, everyone including your parents and teachers have had enough of your behaviour. You find that the witches are the only ones that will take you in and take care of you.
- You have been marked with the scar of deceit. On you 18th Birthday you will be summoned to the underworld.
- Legend goes that there is secret world which you can only access through a magical mirror. You think you may have seen this mirror in your attic.
Download your free 25+ fantasy writing prompts printable.
How to use these Fantasy Writing Prompts:
Sit down and write for 10 or 20 minutes straight for a prompt of your choosing. You can even aim to write a short paragraph for all of these fantasy prompts. Pace yourself by doing one prompt a day. If you are struggling to write more about a prompt, then you can use the 5 W’s and 1 H technique (What, why, where, when, who and how). Ask yourself, when did this event happen or why did it happen? For example for prompt 1, you see a large opening in the tree. Think about who was present at the time you saw this, what day was it and how did you feel in this exact moment? Hopefully, the 5 W’s and 1 H technique will help you to expand your story and even motivate you to finish your story!
For more writing prompts, visit our writing prompts page. Share your short stories by commenting them below or providing us a link your blog post.