22+ Short Story Ideas With a Twist
Everyone loves a good plot twist! The moment where everything changes unexpectedly in your story. But as writers, it’s not always easy coming up with remarkable plot twists that will amaze your readers. So to help you out, here are over 20 short story ideas with a twist that will shock your readers. You might also want to read our post on how to come up with good story ideas for further help and inspiration.
We also recommend viewing our weekly short story challenge. It’s free to enter, and can inspire you to write a great story.
Over 20 Short Story Ideas With a Twist
When you’re staring at a blank page or just need something to brighten up your current story or piece of flash fiction, just add in any of these fun and wacky plot twist ideas:
- An evil warlock who sets out to destroy the world, but ends up saving it.
- A superhero who catches the bad guy, but actually helps the “real” bad guy getaway or escape.
- An everyday boy walks up from a coma to discover the world has been taken over by aliens – But is this all a dream?
- You wake up one day to realise that you can talk to dogs. But it turns out that you have been turned into an actual dog. More doggy prompts on our writing prompts about dogs post.
- In a war between humans and aliens, you lose your best friend. However, he/she is really alive and working with the aliens.
- Life is good, life is perfect until you realise everything is a hologram and the real world is a dark and broken place.
- The hero of your story realises that they were the villain all along. It was their actions that made the villain the evil person they are today.
- After years of not believing, you find out that Santa Clause was actually real. More Santa prompts on our Christmas writing prompts advent calendar post.
- The hero of your story finds out that their best-friend was the real bad guy all along.
- You realise that your whole life was a dream and you only just woke up now.
- A zombie who wants to become a vegetarian – Now that’s a strange combination!
- The hero of your story dies before the final battle scene and a new hero is revealed.
- It turns out dragons are real and all along they have been living deep underground. It turns out that they are the real cause of global warming and heat waves everywhere. Read our post on fantasy writing prompts for more magical stuff.
- To your surprise, the birthday wish you made actually comes true.
- In a futuristic world, humans are fighting against robots to keep their race alive. However, it turns out that everyone is a robot anyway and the true human race died out years ago.
- A random natural disaster like an earthquake or a hurricane happens, giving your hero another extra thing to worry about.
- Your main character is a werewolf hunter, but it turns out that he himself is a werewolf (see our werewolf name generator for some cool name ideas).
- An evil conman (or any other type of villain) turns out to be your hero’s only saviour.
- Your main character is the good guy and the bad guy in your story, as they have a rare split personality disorder.
- All your life you knew your best friend. But one day you find out that your real best friend passed away years ago and was replaced by a robot.
- Things have been getting stolen around town and your main character has to solve the case. However, it turns out that your main character was the thief all along. They probably didn’t know it because they were sleepwalking.
- Your character has been keeping a secret, which is only unveiled at the very end of your story – Possibly ending your story with a cliffhanger!
- All your life you have been told not to leave your house, as you will turn to stone if you do. But the real truth is that the witch that cursed you, is the one who will turn to stone if you leave. You might want to read our post on fairytale ideas for more inspiration.
- Your parents have told you to avoid the deep forest at all cost, as a deadly monster lives there. But you actually find out that the monster is a made-up story told by the town people to keep you from leaving town.
- After reading a magical book, you gain some magical powers. However, it turns out that you always had these magical abilities inside of you. And the magical book is just an ordinary storybook with no magical abilities whatsoever.
What do you think of these short story ideas with a twist? Are they twisty enough for you? Let us know in the comments below.