The Tale of Despereaux is a beautiful tale of a brave mouse who loves music, stories and a princess named Pea. And also focuses on two other characters, a rat named Roscuro and a serving girl called Miggery Sow. All three characters go on a magical journey to find themselves and learn some interesting things on the way. The story also has a ton of inspiring quotes and life lessons that even grownups will love reading. To celebrate the author’s, Kate DiCamillo’s birthday on March 25th, we have collected 12 inspiring quotes from The Tale of Despereaux book.
12 Inspiring Quotes from The Tale of Despereaux
.1. “Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark.”
2. “Once upon a time,” he said out loud to the darkness. He said these words because they were the best, the most powerful words that he knew and just the saying of them comforted him.”
3. “Say it, reader. Say the word ‘quest’ out loud. It is an extraordinary word, isn’t it? So small and yet so full of wonder, so full of hope.”
4. “Forgiveness, reader, is, I think, something very much like hope and love – a powerful, wonderful thing. And a ridiculous thing, too.”
5. “There is nothing sweeter in this sad world than the sound of someone you love calling your name.”
6. “But, reader, there is no comfort in the word “farewell,” even if you say it in French. “Farewell” is a word that,in any language, is full of sorrow. It is a word that promises absolutely nothing.”
7. “Everything, as you well know . . . cannot always be sweetness and light.”
8. “…the story is not a pretty one. there is violence in it. And cruelty. But stories that are not pretty have a certain value, too, I suppose.”
9. “Did you think that rats do not have hearts? Wrong. All living things have a heart. And the heart of any living thing can be broken.”
10. “Reader, do you think it is a terrible thing to hope when there is really no reason to hope at all? Or is it (as the soldier said about happiness) something that you might just as well do, since,in the end, it really makes no difference to anyone but you?”
11. “This is the danger of loving: No matter how powerful you are, no matter how many kingdoms you rule, you cannot stop those you love from dying.”
12. “There are those hearts, reader, that never mend again once they are broken. Or if they do mend, they heal themselves in a crooked and lopsided way, as if sewn together by a careless craftsman.”
Your thoughts on The Tale of Despereaux?
Hope you found these quotes from The Tale of Despereaux inspiring and magical. And if you have any more inspiring quotes from story books, please share them below in the comments – We would love to read them! And if you love this book, as much as we do, you can borrow the book from a local library or buy it online and they even made a film based on the story too!
For more inspiring quotes from children’s book, please see our quotes section.