12 Halloween Writing Prompts for kids (+ Free Printable)
There’s still a couple of weeks until Halloween, making it the perfect time to start writing some Halloween stories and poems. We understand that writing horror stories can be difficult, so here are 12 Halloween writing prompts to help you out and even a free printable! Whether you only have 20 mins or 2 hours, these Halloween writing prompts should be perfect for getting those creative juices flowing. To get extra spooky with your story writing, you can even try combining some of these prompts into a mega story. Alternatively, why not write a scary story for each day until Halloween?
Halloween Writing Prompts:
Mu hahaha! Prepared to get creative this Halloween with our writing prompts.
- You’re a mad scientist. Today in your lab you are creating a new monster. Can you describe this monster? What does it look like? What do they eat? What do they smell like?
- Write a spooky story about three ghosts to tell around the campfire. Don’t forget to end on a big finale to scare everyone!
- One night, after carving a pumpkin, the pumpkin starts speaking to you.
- You hear a strange sound from your wardrobe, you open it and see…
- A bat flies into your room and says he needs your help.
- Describe your perfect haunted house. You can even draw a picture of it.
- What is the scariest thing you have ever seen? And are you still scared of it?
- You find some footprints leading into your house. What do you do?
- Your imaginary friend becomes real and starts causing trouble for you.
- Write 10 questions to interview a vampire and then answer them from the point of view of a vampire.
- Write a recipe for a witch’s brew. If you need an awesome name for your witch, check out our witch name generator.
- Write three acrostic poems using the words, Halloween, Witch and Frankenstein.
Print out our spooky writing prompts to use offline. Perfect for when the electricity cuts off and all you have is the daylight or candlelight to write by. We even included a list of Halloween words to make your stories extra scary!
Share your Halloween stories with us!
Got a funny or scary Halloween story you want to share with us? We would love to read them! Comment your stories below or use the #imagineforest on social media to share them. You can even use the Imagine Forest story creator to publish your own stories online and share them with your friends. If you loved our 12 Halloween writing prompts for kids, you’ll love our Halloween paper bookmark tutorial!